Joined: Sun Oct 22nd, 2017
Interests: Vintage Mustangs, RBV's, car shows, & woodworking
Reputation Points: 2765
|Adding a glove box light is a simple yet functional mod.
What you will need are,
10mm nut driver or socket & rachet wrench,
12 volt test light,
a couple feet of IIRC 18 gauge wire,
scotch lock wire splice,
solder less butt connector.
What you will need for this are the glove box light/catch assembly with the plug connector & a few inches of wiring from the donor vehicle.
I went to a pick-n-pull & looked at all the Rangers they had & not a one had a glove box light, so I took one from a Explorer of a similar year as my Ranger. IIRC 95-00 Explorers have the same dash as a Ranger, so it should have the glove box light that would work.
To perform the mod you need to;
1) Empty the contents of your glove box,
2) Pull in lightly on the two tabs (one each side) on the glove box liner so the door will drop open all the way,
3) Remove the 10mm screw holding the glove box catch & remove the catch,
4) Install the catch/glove box light assembly,
5) Using the 12 volt test light find a power source with the key off so the glove box light will always work, (I found a source under the r/s of the dash below the glove box)
6) Using the solder less butt connector connect the length of wire to the glove box light plug. Run the wire from the glove box light plug to your power source & using the scotch lock tap power for the glove box light,
7) Close the glove box & make sure the light is off, adjust catch as needed so the light does not stay on or it will kill your battery.
8) Refill your glove box & enjoy. Now it is easier to find your stuff in the glove box at night.
The glove box light that I installed is on the left, & the standard glove box catch I took out is on the right.
00 Ranger Extd Cab 4x4 4.0 OHV, Auto(My DD)
99 Explorer Sport 4x4 4.0 SOHC, Auto( Wife's DD)
69 Mustang Coupe 5.0, 5 spd(Project & my future toy)
14 Kawasaki Vulcan (Wife's Toy)