Ford-Rangers.com Ranger Forum HomeFord-Rangers.com Ranger Forum Home
Home Recent Topics New posts Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register
Ford-Rangers.com Ranger Forum > Tech Section > General Technical Questions > Is there any reason to NOT buy an after

Ford-rangers.com is a discussion forum, a Ranger forum for people who have questions about fixing or modifying
their Ford Rangers or people who just admire their Ranger. Please join and enjoy sharing experiences!

Is there any reason to NOT buy an after       #: 894
 Moderated by: NoPower, Mike69, MaDMaXX Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2   
New Topic Reply
 Rate Topic 
 Posted: Sun Jun 3rd, 2018 04:24 am
PM Quote Reply
26th Post
aroundincircles
Member
 

Joined: Sun Nov 19th, 2017
Location: Mesa ArizonaUSA
Posts: 296
Name: 
Occupation: 
Interests: 
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 471
Ok, so got it today, and went to install it, and it all fits into place, but the silicone elbow that goes from the pipe into the throttle body is far too big, and so it's a no go. Doesn't fit. so will be returning it. Oh well..



____________________
https://aroundincircles.net/
1998 Mazda B4000
Mesa, AZ
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jun 3rd, 2018 05:48 am
PM Quote Reply
27th Post
Undrstm8ed
Seasoned...


Joined: Sat Oct 21st, 2017
Posts: 1256
Name: 
Occupation: 
Interests: Life, Experiences, and adventures.
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 1886
Tsquare wrote:

We tried the two most popular intake system and a "stock-mod" air intake. The K&N and Air Raid were better than stock but a modified stock aibox with the baffle removed and a 80mm feed hose from the airbox to the fender did better than the aftermarket kits.

Because it acted like a ram air kit, not just an open air filter element sucking up heat soak... Also the literal ramming of air into a funnel of sorts will compress the air more so  Same as what a snorkel claims it does and why they allegedly increase MPG and equally get a little bump in the HP dept..

I dont think its anything too impressive but an extra 1.-3 MPG is good for at least 25-32 MPT

The differences after that will be the filtration; as Paper, Cotton, or even Foam type filters.

Last edited on Sun Jun 3rd, 2018 05:56 am by Undrstm8ed



____________________
"Be never first, never last and never noticed." - Unknown

"The slave is held most securely when he is held by the chains of his own will and of his own fears, and when he is locked down by his own slavish desires for a comfortable life." - Michael Bunker

"Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur. Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur" - ~ attributed to Petronius (Gaius Petronius Arbiter (ca. 27–66 AD))
Roman courtier during the reign of Nero.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine


~ Undrstm8ed Truckumentry Write Up Pg.

~ Undrstm8ed Trailermentry Write Up Pg.
.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jun 3rd, 2018 01:01 pm
PM Quote Reply
28th Post
Tsquare
Member


Joined: Fri Nov 10th, 2017
Location: Suwanee GeorgiaUSA
Posts: 1456
Name: 
Occupation: Controlled Insanity
Interests: 
Status: 
Online
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 2726
Undrstm8ed wrote:
Tsquare wrote:


We tried the two most popular intake system and a "stock-mod" air intake. The K&N and Air Raid were better than stock but a modified stock aibox with the baffle removed and a 80mm feed hose from the airbox to the fender did better than the aftermarket kits.

Because it acted like a ram air kit, not just an open air filter element sucking up heat soak... Also the literal ramming of air into a funnel of sorts will compress the air more so  Same as what a snorkel claims it does and why they allegedly increase MPG and equally get a little bump in the HP dept..

I dont think its anything too impressive but an extra 1.-3 MPG is good for at least 25-32 MPT

The differences after that will be the filtration; as Paper, Cotton, or even Foam type filters.

That may be stretching it but there might have been. The truck was on a dyno in a climate controlled room with a couple of fans pointed at the front of the truck. I not sure there was much of a ram air action but the air going into the airbox was coming from outside the engine compartment. My tuner tried the various intakes but also tried a couple of different cat-back exhaust to get the combination that worked best together.

The addition of one component usually had little effect. The combination of a freer flowing intake, freer flowing exhaust, electric fans, electric water pump, under-drive pulley, and tune chip allowed more torque to the rear tires. In real world driving the truck went from 13.5 mpg to 15-15.5mpg in city driving and 16ish mpg hwy to 20mpg with a noticeable difference in my seat of the pants dynometer.



____________________
Tony
NE ATL
'04 XLT regular cab 3.slo stepside
Came out of retirement to drive a school bus - I have lost my mind
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jun 3rd, 2018 01:59 pm
PM Quote Reply
29th Post
410customs

Idahome


Joined: Wed May 2nd, 2018
Location: Panhandle IdahoUSA
Posts: 2137
Name: Jamie
Occupation: Elevator Design Worlds Tallest Buildings
Interests: Ranger Based Vehicles and OFFROAD
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 5372
taking off the engine driven fan would do that! I cannot find a good e fan that will cool a V8 Bronco in the desert in summer while 4x4ing low range with the AC on....so I have stuck with the metal V8 engine driven fan and clutch



____________________
I build custom RBV, specializing in drivetrain conversions, wiring, suspension and complete custom trucks
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jun 3rd, 2018 03:23 pm
PM Quote Reply
30th Post
Dusten
Member


Joined: Sat Jan 13th, 2018
Posts: 614
Name: 
Occupation: 
Interests: cars, trucks, running
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 1044
410customs wrote:
taking off the engine driven fan would do that! I cannot find a good e fan that will cool a V8 Bronco in the desert in summer while 4x4ing low range with the AC on....so I have stuck with the metal V8 engine driven fan and clutch
Look at thr ford raptors efan.  Lots on ebay.  And oem quality



____________________
2001 Ford Lightning - Built Motor - Built Trans - 2.9 Whipple - E85 - Custom Interior - 537/632 - 11.40 @ 119.6(old setup)
1968 Ford Mustang "Gold Nugget Special"
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
1999 Ranger
https://www.youtube.com/user/lightningdusten
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jun 3rd, 2018 04:08 pm
PM Quote Reply
31st Post
Tsquare
Member


Joined: Fri Nov 10th, 2017
Location: Suwanee GeorgiaUSA
Posts: 1456
Name: 
Occupation: Controlled Insanity
Interests: 
Status: 
Online
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 2726
Also go with a 4 row radiator instead of the stock 3 row.

The only issue I had with e-fans was a controller would only last 3 or 4 years. These were all aftermarket controllers and I tried 3 or 4 brands.



____________________
Tony
NE ATL
'04 XLT regular cab 3.slo stepside
Came out of retirement to drive a school bus - I have lost my mind
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jun 4th, 2018 08:29 am
PM Quote Reply
32nd Post
Undrstm8ed
Seasoned...


Joined: Sat Oct 21st, 2017
Posts: 1256
Name: 
Occupation: 
Interests: Life, Experiences, and adventures.
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 1886
Dusten wrote:
410customs wrote:

taking off the engine driven fan would do that! I cannot find a good e fan that will cool a V8 Bronco in the desert in summer while 4x4ing low range with the AC on....so I have stuck with the metal V8 engine driven fan and clutch
Look at thr ford raptors efan.  Lots on ebay.  And oem quality

Dual Core or HD Radiator, Volvo 740+ E-fan & shroud (BETTER than the Ford Taurus one fitment wise and if the fan ever takes a  , its replaceable where the Taurus is a single unit so if the fan goes, replacement includes the new shroud), BMW dual speed sensor, couple misc plugs and pigtails, and a thermo switch inline coupler...

I'm not gonna lie, still waiting on the fan shroud to come available again as I missed the last batch, poor timing on my part. but I have everything else ready to go.


Tsquare wrote:
Also go with a 4 row radiator instead of the stock 3 row.

The only issue I had with e-fans was a controller would only last 3 or 4 years. These were all aftermarket controllers and I tried 3 or 4 brands.

What Ranger came with a 3 core/row radiator? let alone WHO makes a production 4 Row without being custom.

A stock made dual (2) core/row HD radiator meant for the Ranger already pushes the OEM fan shroud so far back that the OEM clutch fan cant scoop or paddle ambient air in the engine bay to adequately cool. After 20 mins or so the temp gauge goes from barely reading on N while traveling to almost the M in "Normal"..

On a 104* day with the A/C on in the Vegas desert trails or traffic doing under 15 MPH or stuck in 1st gear its not moved into the M yet... but on a 112*+ day, we'll see what it does. But this is still using the clutch fan. The E-fan should be better with the dual speed sensor..

.

Last edited on Mon Jun 4th, 2018 08:30 am by Undrstm8ed



____________________
"Be never first, never last and never noticed." - Unknown

"The slave is held most securely when he is held by the chains of his own will and of his own fears, and when he is locked down by his own slavish desires for a comfortable life." - Michael Bunker

"Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur. Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur" - ~ attributed to Petronius (Gaius Petronius Arbiter (ca. 27–66 AD))
Roman courtier during the reign of Nero.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine


~ Undrstm8ed Truckumentry Write Up Pg.

~ Undrstm8ed Trailermentry Write Up Pg.
.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jun 4th, 2018 09:37 am
PM Quote Reply
33rd Post
Dusten
Member


Joined: Sat Jan 13th, 2018
Posts: 614
Name: 
Occupation: 
Interests: cars, trucks, running
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 1044
Undrstm8ed wrote:
Dusten wrote:

410customs wrote:


taking off the engine driven fan would do that! I cannot find a good e fan that will cool a V8 Bronco in the desert in summer while 4x4ing low range with the AC on....so I have stuck with the metal V8 engine driven fan and clutch
Look at thr ford raptors efan.  Lots on ebay.  And oem quality

Dual Core or HD Radiator, Volvo 740+ E-fan & shroud (BETTER than the Ford Taurus one fitment wise and if the fan ever takes a  , its replaceable where the Taurus is a single unit so if the fan goes, replacement includes the new shroud), BMW dual speed sensor, couple misc plugs and pigtails, and a thermo switch inline coupler...

I'm not gonna lie, still waiting on the fan shroud to come available again as I missed the last batch, poor timing on my part. but I have everything else ready to go.


Tsquare wrote:

Also go with a 4 row radiator instead of the stock 3 row.

The only issue I had with e-fans was a controller would only last 3 or 4 years. These were all aftermarket controllers and I tried 3 or 4 brands.

What Ranger came with a 3 core/row radiator? let alone WHO makes a production 4 Row without being custom.

A stock made dual (2) core/row HD radiator meant for the Ranger already pushes the OEM fan shroud so far back that the OEM clutch fan cant scoop or paddle ambient air in the engine bay to adequately cool. After 20 mins or so the temp gauge goes from barely reading on N while traveling to almost the M in "Normal"..

On a 104* day with the A/C on in the Vegas desert trails or traffic doing under 15 MPH or stuck in 1st gear its not moved into the M yet... but on a 112*+ day, we'll see what it does. But this is still using the clutch fan. The E-fan should be better with the dual speed sensor..

.

He said V8 bronco... I am assuming he means full size bronco as he didn't state B2...



____________________
2001 Ford Lightning - Built Motor - Built Trans - 2.9 Whipple - E85 - Custom Interior - 537/632 - 11.40 @ 119.6(old setup)
1968 Ford Mustang "Gold Nugget Special"
2018 Ford Mustang GT PP1
1999 Ranger
https://www.youtube.com/user/lightningdusten
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jun 4th, 2018 10:22 am
PM Quote Reply
34th Post
Undrstm8ed
Seasoned...


Joined: Sat Oct 21st, 2017
Posts: 1256
Name: 
Occupation: 
Interests: Life, Experiences, and adventures.
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 1886
Gotcha...



____________________
"Be never first, never last and never noticed." - Unknown

"The slave is held most securely when he is held by the chains of his own will and of his own fears, and when he is locked down by his own slavish desires for a comfortable life." - Michael Bunker

"Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur. Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur" - ~ attributed to Petronius (Gaius Petronius Arbiter (ca. 27–66 AD))
Roman courtier during the reign of Nero.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine


~ Undrstm8ed Truckumentry Write Up Pg.

~ Undrstm8ed Trailermentry Write Up Pg.
.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jun 4th, 2018 01:46 pm
PM Quote Reply
35th Post
410customs

Idahome


Joined: Wed May 2nd, 2018
Location: Panhandle IdahoUSA
Posts: 2137
Name: Jamie
Occupation: Elevator Design Worlds Tallest Buildings
Interests: Ranger Based Vehicles and OFFROAD
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 5372
My BII sorry
I have a tig welded aluminum 4 core radiator
I have AC and a huge tranmission cooler also in the stack. The cooling stack is mounted all underneath my core support (radiator tuck)
The radiator support is custom cut to fit all of this with a custom lower support/brace. I run a 180 thermostat and the truck reaches 200-210 normal operating temp sometimes will see 220 water temp

I have tried a few different e fans over the years, not once did one even come close to cooling her down when the tires are at 8 psi (35's) both lockers are locked and we are crawling for hours in low range in the desert heat.

I have a completely custom fan shroud giving me 100% of the radiator surface area for cooling, my cooling stack is built so there is no air gap on the sides and I have plastic shrouds to ensure the air goes through the stack not around it.

I need a larger radiator if there is any hope of using an E fan, but those radiators are $$$$$$ and the $700 Ron Davis unit I originally purchased for my conversion lasted all of 3 months before it developed internal leaks I WAS NOT HAPPY so I am running a OHV 4.0 radiator 4 core aluminum unit you can get on Ebay for $140........

No e fan for me, it just wont do it. I have tried a few and gave up. They work fantastic for city driving, road trips, etc. But 4x4 low range and desert heat it just wont cool her down

Yes this is 88 Bronco II with Explorer V8 drivetrain witha few "goodies"



____________________
I build custom RBV, specializing in drivetrain conversions, wiring, suspension and complete custom trucks
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jun 9th, 2018 04:36 pm
PM Quote Reply
36th Post
aroundincircles
Member
 

Joined: Sun Nov 19th, 2017
Location: Mesa ArizonaUSA
Posts: 296
Name: 
Occupation: 
Interests: 
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 471



____________________
https://aroundincircles.net/
1998 Mazda B4000
Mesa, AZ
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jun 9th, 2018 05:29 pm
PM Quote Reply
37th Post
JAMMAN

Owns A Torsen


Joined: Mon Sep 18th, 2017
Location: Grove City OhioUSA
Posts: 5752
Name: Jim
Occupation: 5 axis cnc programmer
Interests: RBV's
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 9336
"Almost like a jet engine but not in a good way"

I REALLY like that and will steal it.



____________________
Truth sounds like hate for those who hate truth.

00 XLT 4WD RCSB 3.GO! Jalapeño
01 XLT 2WD RC Steppie 3.0 auto Silver
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Jun 10th, 2018 08:56 pm
PM Quote Reply
38th Post
Undrstm8ed
Seasoned...


Joined: Sat Oct 21st, 2017
Posts: 1256
Name: 
Occupation: 
Interests: Life, Experiences, and adventures.
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 1886
I wanted to hear what a Leer Ranger sounded like at least.. I even had popcorn dammmnit !

lolol



____________________
"Be never first, never last and never noticed." - Unknown

"The slave is held most securely when he is held by the chains of his own will and of his own fears, and when he is locked down by his own slavish desires for a comfortable life." - Michael Bunker

"Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur. Mundus vult decipi, ergo decipiatur" - ~ attributed to Petronius (Gaius Petronius Arbiter (ca. 27–66 AD))
Roman courtier during the reign of Nero.

"Those who expect to reap the blessings of freedom, must, like men, undergo the fatigue of supporting it." - Thomas Paine


~ Undrstm8ed Truckumentry Write Up Pg.

~ Undrstm8ed Trailermentry Write Up Pg.
.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jun 11th, 2018 03:36 pm
PM Quote Reply
39th Post
aroundincircles
Member
 

Joined: Sun Nov 19th, 2017
Location: Mesa ArizonaUSA
Posts: 296
Name: 
Occupation: 
Interests: 
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 471
Undrstm8ed wrote:
I wanted to hear what a Leer Ranger sounded like at least.. I even had popcorn dammmnit !

lolol

I tried to record it, but it blew out my mic. 

At first I thought it was my fuel pump about to explode, but noise was coming from under the hood, opened that up to hear it coming from the intake. I'm thinking it has to do with the way the filter attaches to the MAF



____________________
https://aroundincircles.net/
1998 Mazda B4000
Mesa, AZ
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 10:42 pm Top Page:  First Page Previous Page  1  2     

Ford-Rangers.com Ranger Forum > Tech Section > General Technical Questions > Is there any reason to NOT buy an after

Users viewing this topic



© 2007-2021 Chris -N- Jim
Page processed in 0.2368 seconds (13% database + 87% PHP). 76 queries executed.