Ford-Rangers.com Ranger Forum HomeFord-Rangers.com Ranger Forum Home
Home Recent Topics New posts Search search Menu menu Not logged in - Login | Register

Ford-rangers.com is a discussion forum, a Ranger forum for people who have questions about fixing or modifying
their Ford Rangers or people who just admire their Ranger. Please join and enjoy sharing experiences!

Vacuum hubs 98-00       #: 1053
 Moderated by: NoPower, Mike69, MaDMaXX
New Topic Reply
 Rate Topic 
 Posted: Fri Jul 13th, 2018 02:30 pm
PM Quote Reply
1st Post
JAMMAN

Owns A Torsen


Joined: Mon Sep 18th, 2017
Location: Grove City OhioUSA
Posts: 5331
Name: Jim
Occupation: Design and Innovation
Interests: RBV's, Computers
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 8525
I have seen tons of vids on this but since we have multiple resident experts perhaps we could get a local take on it.

How do you effectively cancel the vacuum hubs to solid, is it wise compared to one of the kits that makes them lockout.

RE: 1998 to early 2000 4WD rangers. I got lucky on my 2000 it was a late 2000 model no vacuum.



____________________
00 XLT 2WD RCSB 5.0 swap Gherkin
00 XLT 4WD XCSB 4.0 G2
00 XLT 4WD RCSB 3.GO! Jalapeño
00 XLT 4WD RCSB Steppie 3.blown. Mistake
99 XL 4WD RCSB 3.0 PJ (Plain Jane)
00 XLT 2WD RC Steppie 2.5 Dee Dee

ALL Amazon Green Metallic
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Fri Jul 13th, 2018 04:12 pm
PM Quote Reply
2nd Post
black06xlt
salvage auto dismantler


Joined: Sat Nov 25th, 2017
Location: Flushing OhioUSA
Posts: 1673
Name: 
Occupation: 
Interests: my wife my kids ford rangers
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 3623
Axles shafts and spindles from a non vacuum donor. You have the parts on that expo



____________________
2006 ranger xlt ext cab 4x4 4.0 auto
1992 ranger xlt reg cab 2wd 2.3 5 spd (SOLD)
1996 explorer Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD sold
1995 ranger splash reg cab 2wd 2.3 5 spd
2001 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0 4x4 auto
1998 Ranger XLT ext cab 4x4 4.0 auto
2000 Ranger XLT ext cab 4x4 4.0 5 speed
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2018 02:02 pm
PM Quote Reply
3rd Post
410customs

Idahome


Joined: Wed May 2nd, 2018
Location: Panhandle IdahoUSA
Posts: 1941
Name: Jamie
Occupation: Elevator Design Worlds Tallest Buildings
Interests: Ranger Based Vehicles and OFFROAD
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 4266
The aftermarket lockout hubs for those trucks are garbage dont even bother.
Convert to a live axle by using the knuckles/unit bearings and cv axles from the explorer or 2000+ Ranger
Then plug and remove the vacuum hub system completely
Live the rest of your life HAPPY!!!



____________________
I build custom RBV, specializing in drivetrain conversions, wiring, suspension and complete custom trucks
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2018 07:35 pm
PM Quote Reply
4th Post
JAMMAN

Owns A Torsen


Joined: Mon Sep 18th, 2017
Location: Grove City OhioUSA
Posts: 5331
Name: Jim
Occupation: Design and Innovation
Interests: RBV's, Computers
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 8525
I just happen to have a set. 06XLT saw them today to his right and left while getting a face full of frame flakes removing a bumper.

I'll end up putting so much work in that white one I'll have to keep it. It will be my beater LOL.



____________________
00 XLT 2WD RCSB 5.0 swap Gherkin
00 XLT 4WD XCSB 4.0 G2
00 XLT 4WD RCSB 3.GO! Jalapeño
00 XLT 4WD RCSB Steppie 3.blown. Mistake
99 XL 4WD RCSB 3.0 PJ (Plain Jane)
00 XLT 2WD RC Steppie 2.5 Dee Dee

ALL Amazon Green Metallic
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2018 08:05 pm
PM Quote Reply
5th Post
black06xlt
salvage auto dismantler


Joined: Sat Nov 25th, 2017
Location: Flushing OhioUSA
Posts: 1673
Name: 
Occupation: 
Interests: my wife my kids ford rangers
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 3623
JAMMAN wrote:
I just happen to have a set. 06XLT saw them today to his right and left while getting a face full of frame flakes removing a bumper.

I'll end up putting so much work in that white one I'll have to keep it. It will be my beater LOL.

That's right beater with heater.



____________________
2006 ranger xlt ext cab 4x4 4.0 auto
1992 ranger xlt reg cab 2wd 2.3 5 spd (SOLD)
1996 explorer Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD sold
1995 ranger splash reg cab 2wd 2.3 5 spd
2001 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0 4x4 auto
1998 Ranger XLT ext cab 4x4 4.0 auto
2000 Ranger XLT ext cab 4x4 4.0 5 speed
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sat Jul 14th, 2018 10:02 pm
PM Quote Reply
6th Post
Mike69

Mustang Nut


Joined: Sun Oct 22nd, 2017
Location: Toms River  New JerseyUSA
Posts: 1423
Name: Mike
Occupation: Merchandising
Interests: Vintage Mustangs, RBV's, car shows, & woodworking
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 2533
JAMMAN wrote:
 1998 to early 2000 4WD rangers. I got lucky on my 2000 it was a late 2000 model no vacuum.
I got lucky on my 2000 Ranger also, mine is a 3/2000 build & has the live axle setup.



____________________
08 Escape 4x4(spare)
00 Ranger Extd Cab 4x4 4.0 OHV, Auto(My DD)
99 Explorer Sport 4x4 4.0 SOHC, Auto( Wife's DD)
69 Mustang Coupe 5.0, 5 spd(Project & my future toy)
14 Kawasaki Vulcan (Wife's Toy)
Splitting time between southern NJ & Southern Virginia.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Jul 16th, 2018 09:17 pm
PM Quote Reply
7th Post
squirrelhunter
Tree rat eradicator


Joined: Sun Mar 11th, 2018
Location: Portland IndianaUSA
Posts: 174
Name: 
Occupation: Disabled
Interests: Hunting, shooting, reloading, fishing and auto mechanics
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 859
I haven't done anything with our '99 yet but I was planning on installing manual lockers and plugging the vacuum system,once I find where it starts.



____________________
1994 Ranger XLT 4x4
1994 F150 XLT
1999 Ranger XLT 4x4
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Aug 21st, 2018 02:22 am
PM Quote Reply
8th Post
toadboy
Member
 

Joined: Fri Jul 20th, 2018
Location: LAFOLLETTE TennesseeUSA
Posts: 19
Name: 
Occupation: Retired
Interests: kayaking fishing guns
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 29
Just installed my new manual lockers.  The vacuum lines had literally rotted off, and I plugged the lines with good old silicone.  Now I know when my hubs are going to lock!  Glad ford never designed vacuum dependent anything else.  Oh, my brake booster is the next item I'm replacing. My pedal is stiff, and no sign of any ABS?  I already replaced the calipers on the front.  Maybe I better visually inspect the rear?  Oh well, another day, another chance to make my ranger right again

Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Sep 23rd, 2018 12:12 pm
PM Quote Reply
9th Post
JAMMAN

Owns A Torsen


Joined: Mon Sep 18th, 2017
Location: Grove City OhioUSA
Posts: 5331
Name: Jim
Occupation: Design and Innovation
Interests: RBV's, Computers
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 8525
I know this is an old thread but for the record I have a feb. 2000 ranger that has live axle setup so it was as far back as february.



____________________
00 XLT 2WD RCSB 5.0 swap Gherkin
00 XLT 4WD XCSB 4.0 G2
00 XLT 4WD RCSB 3.GO! Jalapeño
00 XLT 4WD RCSB Steppie 3.blown. Mistake
99 XL 4WD RCSB 3.0 PJ (Plain Jane)
00 XLT 2WD RC Steppie 2.5 Dee Dee

ALL Amazon Green Metallic
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Sun Sep 23rd, 2018 01:16 pm
PM Quote Reply
10th Post
black06xlt
salvage auto dismantler


Joined: Sat Nov 25th, 2017
Location: Flushing OhioUSA
Posts: 1673
Name: 
Occupation: 
Interests: my wife my kids ford rangers
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 3623
If I remember right all 2000 calendar year Ranger are live axle early 2000 model year that were produced in late 99 are vacuum hubs



____________________
2006 ranger xlt ext cab 4x4 4.0 auto
1992 ranger xlt reg cab 2wd 2.3 5 spd (SOLD)
1996 explorer Eddie Bauer 5.0 AWD sold
1995 ranger splash reg cab 2wd 2.3 5 spd
2001 Explorer Sport Trac 4.0 4x4 auto
1998 Ranger XLT ext cab 4x4 4.0 auto
2000 Ranger XLT ext cab 4x4 4.0 5 speed
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Nov 13th, 2018 06:05 pm
PM Quote Reply
11th Post
squirrelhunter
Tree rat eradicator


Joined: Sun Mar 11th, 2018
Location: Portland IndianaUSA
Posts: 174
Name: 
Occupation: Disabled
Interests: Hunting, shooting, reloading, fishing and auto mechanics
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 859
410customs wrote:
The aftermarket lockout hubs for those trucks are garbage dont even bother.
Convert to a live axle by using the knuckles/unit bearings and cv axles from the explorer or 2000+ Ranger
Then plug and remove the vacuum hub system completely
Live the rest of your life HAPPY!!!

Where does the system start on a '99 Super Cab XLT model Ranger? I've read it starts at a vacuum canister but I've gotten different answers on where it's located. Some say behind the front fenders,some say inside the cab behind the drivers seat behind the panel and some say underneath around the transmission/transfer case area. I really don't want to be tearing it apart in different areas hoping to run into it so a pretty definite answer would be very helpful.



____________________
1994 Ranger XLT 4x4
1994 F150 XLT
1999 Ranger XLT 4x4
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Nov 13th, 2018 06:37 pm
PM Quote Reply
12th Post
Mike69

Mustang Nut


Joined: Sun Oct 22nd, 2017
Location: Toms River  New JerseyUSA
Posts: 1423
Name: Mike
Occupation: Merchandising
Interests: Vintage Mustangs, RBV's, car shows, & woodworking
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 2533
black06xlt wrote:
If I remember right all 2000 calendar year Ranger are live axle early 2000 model year that were produced in late 99 are vacuum hubs
My 2000 Ranger was built in 3/00 & it has the live axle set up.



____________________
08 Escape 4x4(spare)
00 Ranger Extd Cab 4x4 4.0 OHV, Auto(My DD)
99 Explorer Sport 4x4 4.0 SOHC, Auto( Wife's DD)
69 Mustang Coupe 5.0, 5 spd(Project & my future toy)
14 Kawasaki Vulcan (Wife's Toy)
Splitting time between southern NJ & Southern Virginia.
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Tue Nov 13th, 2018 11:24 pm
PM Quote Reply
13th Post
JAMMAN

Owns A Torsen


Joined: Mon Sep 18th, 2017
Location: Grove City OhioUSA
Posts: 5331
Name: Jim
Occupation: Design and Innovation
Interests: RBV's, Computers
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 8525
squirrelhunter wrote:
410customs wrote:

The aftermarket lockout hubs for those trucks are garbage dont even bother.
Convert to a live axle by using the knuckles/unit bearings and cv axles from the explorer or 2000+ Ranger
Then plug and remove the vacuum hub system completely
Live the rest of your life HAPPY!!!

Where does the system start on a '99 Super Cab XLT model Ranger? I've read it starts at a vacuum canister but I've gotten different answers on where it's located. Some say behind the front fenders,some say inside the cab behind the drivers seat behind the panel and some say underneath around the transmission/transfer case area. I really don't want to be tearing it apart in different areas hoping to run into it so a pretty definite answer would be very helpful.

I would follow the lines, you know where it ends, line comes up each side on the steering knuckle (there is an untercut in vac hubbed Rangers to accommodate the lines) and follow it to its starting point. Has to be a valve actuated by the 4wd switch or the transfer case. The canister makes sense since that is a good vacuum supply point but the lines will tell the story.



____________________
00 XLT 2WD RCSB 5.0 swap Gherkin
00 XLT 4WD XCSB 4.0 G2
00 XLT 4WD RCSB 3.GO! Jalapeño
00 XLT 4WD RCSB Steppie 3.blown. Mistake
99 XL 4WD RCSB 3.0 PJ (Plain Jane)
00 XLT 2WD RC Steppie 2.5 Dee Dee

ALL Amazon Green Metallic
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Nov 14th, 2018 07:29 pm
PM Quote Reply
14th Post
squirrelhunter
Tree rat eradicator


Joined: Sun Mar 11th, 2018
Location: Portland IndianaUSA
Posts: 174
Name: 
Occupation: Disabled
Interests: Hunting, shooting, reloading, fishing and auto mechanics
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 859
JAMMAN wrote:
squirrelhunter wrote:

410customs wrote:


The aftermarket lockout hubs for those trucks are garbage dont even bother.
Convert to a live axle by using the knuckles/unit bearings and cv axles from the explorer or 2000+ Ranger
Then plug and remove the vacuum hub system completely
Live the rest of your life HAPPY!!!

Where does the system start on a '99 Super Cab XLT model Ranger? I've read it starts at a vacuum canister but I've gotten different answers on where it's located. Some say behind the front fenders,some say inside the cab behind the drivers seat behind the panel and some say underneath around the transmission/transfer case area. I really don't want to be tearing it apart in different areas hoping to run into it so a pretty definite answer would be very helpful.

I would follow the lines, you know where it ends, line comes up each side on the steering knuckle (there is an untercut in vac hubbed Rangers to accommodate the lines) and follow it to its starting point. Has to be a valve actuated by the 4wd switch or the transfer case. The canister makes sense since that is a good vacuum supply point but the lines will tell the story.

The fact that the leak could be between the canister and switch or the canister itself I really need to find it,to follow the lines back I'd have to tear into everything which is what I was trying to avoid but I guess I'll have to. Thanks anyway.



____________________
1994 Ranger XLT 4x4
1994 F150 XLT
1999 Ranger XLT 4x4
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Nov 14th, 2018 08:38 pm
PM Quote Reply
15th Post
JAMMAN

Owns A Torsen


Joined: Mon Sep 18th, 2017
Location: Grove City OhioUSA
Posts: 5331
Name: Jim
Occupation: Design and Innovation
Interests: RBV's, Computers
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 8525
OK Sorry, found this clip C/O TRS forum 2010 post.

"pop your hood and remove the aircleaner assembly (the whole thing not just the top) to gain easy access to the 3 way vacuum port. I will note you can also just go through the passenger fender area but you gotta feel around for the tube and pull on it (not recommended). Once you get the cleaner off and locate the 3 way tube, identify the tubes 1 should go up into the fender to the Solinoid and the other 2 should go to either hub."



____________________
00 XLT 2WD RCSB 5.0 swap Gherkin
00 XLT 4WD XCSB 4.0 G2
00 XLT 4WD RCSB 3.GO! Jalapeño
00 XLT 4WD RCSB Steppie 3.blown. Mistake
99 XL 4WD RCSB 3.0 PJ (Plain Jane)
00 XLT 2WD RC Steppie 2.5 Dee Dee

ALL Amazon Green Metallic
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Wed Nov 14th, 2018 11:27 pm
PM Quote Reply
16th Post
squirrelhunter
Tree rat eradicator


Joined: Sun Mar 11th, 2018
Location: Portland IndianaUSA
Posts: 174
Name: 
Occupation: Disabled
Interests: Hunting, shooting, reloading, fishing and auto mechanics
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 859
Thanks. I found the solenoid once before behind the fender and found the line that went to the passenger side hub but when I tried back tracking it I lost it around the air cleaner,it sort of looked like it went towards the transmission but I may have unknowing switched to another line. I'll take the air cleaner off and see. I thought the vacuum system was more complex than that,guess not. Thanks again.



____________________
1994 Ranger XLT 4x4
1994 F150 XLT
1999 Ranger XLT 4x4
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

 Posted: Mon Dec 17th, 2018 05:41 pm
PM Quote Reply
17th Post
squirrelhunter
Tree rat eradicator


Joined: Sun Mar 11th, 2018
Location: Portland IndianaUSA
Posts: 174
Name: 
Occupation: Disabled
Interests: Hunting, shooting, reloading, fishing and auto mechanics
Status: 
Offline
Reputation: 
Reputation Points: 859
The vacuum t and canister was actually right there beside the solenoid so it was easy to unhook.



____________________
1994 Ranger XLT 4x4
1994 F150 XLT
1999 Ranger XLT 4x4
Back To Top PM Quote Reply

Current time is 10:44 am Top  

Ford-Rangers.com Ranger Forum > Tech Section > Drivetrain Tech > Vacuum hubs 98-00

Users viewing this topic



© 2007-2020 Chris -N- Jim
Page processed in 0.2633 seconds (14% database + 86% PHP). 84 queries executed.